two girls, every voice

get lost in the words & feel free to share your own

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

College Days Swiftly Pass

College Days Swiftly Pass.

       Now that I am in my second year of college, I can notice how crazy it is how much has happened to me from last year until now. I have learned so much about myself, as far as my strengths and weaknesses. During my freshmen year, I battled challenged upon challenge. My identity, my confidence, family, friends, and even GPA. I was out of control. I had no idea what was happening to myself and what was happening around me.

       Every day was a new issue for me: whether it was my crush who never seemed to notice me, the girls who never seemed to acknowledge me, or the classes that never seemed to interest me. Nothing changed, no matter how many times I tried to start over and be optimistic, when it came to my daily conquest to change the world just as my fellow college students. But how can we change the world when we have not even changed ourselves?

       As college students, we are expected to enter school knowing our future and what we want to do but there is a major flaw with that expectation: we do not even know who we are yet. We are just now learning about our abilities, about our limits, about our life. We cannot be forced to decide the rest of our lives if we have not even begun to live it yet. 

       Most freshmen like myself  experience a rough first year of college. The American College Health Association found that about 30 percent of college students reported feeling "so depressed that it was difficult to function" at some time in their first year. Being that we are only young adults, and given all the freedom we have just acquired, it is hard not to become depressed. We are placed in a massive environment where all we have is ourselves, but we do not know who we are yet. The loneliness can be so nauseating that you become weak by the darkness.
       
       Thus, my advice for all incoming freshmen and college students, in general, is to invest time in yourself. Do not spend your entire four years stressed about your major and future because how can you have a future if you are lost in the present? The most successful people in the world are the ones who understand themselves and what they want, because it is then and only then that they are able to fuel their success with pure passion. So, go out and enjoy yourself. Go out at midnight on a school night just because you think it will be fun, or watch movies simply to satisfy your curiosity. Do it because you are young and you deserve these years to not care and find out who you are instead of killing yourself trying to get the grades you want. Do it all with no regrets because college days swiftly pass.

Sign here,

No comments:

Post a Comment