two girls, every voice

get lost in the words & feel free to share your own

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Travel

Tomorrow I leave for vacation in Europe.

 I love traveling.
The smells, the food, the cultures, the people, the sights, the packing, the airports. Everything is different, but so unique that it has its own charm and luxury. For that one week you are on vacation, so many everyday problems disappear. Traveling is both an escape and an exploration.
I have had the privilege of visiting many countries around the world, but I will never lose my thirst for traveling. So often, I feel that people focus on visiting the major cities and important first-world nations around the world, but there is so much more to Earth than fine architecture and luxurious hotels.
I want to visit Africa- go on a safari in the Serengeti. I want to stay in South America- go hiking in the Andes mountains. I want to travel to India and learn the secrets of the busy, poor villages. Visit Turkey, and see where the Middle East meets Eastern Europe.
However, so much of the world is unsafe for women to travel. All of the world, including places in my home the United States of America, it is completely delusional for a girl to visit unaccompanied by a man. There is the risk of robbery, rape, mugging, cat calling, or even murder.
Feeling unsafe in a new city is not the proper way to explore.
I want to travel, and I do not want to be restricted by the possibility of a man attacking me.

Sign here,

No comments:

Post a Comment